Saturday, February 10, 2007

The 80s Hair Again


I've had this postcard from a cashmere company laying around on my dining table, and I totally wanted to do an Antonio-style profile sketch based on the model (he had that hair and layers of scarves wrapped around his neck like Antonio used to draw). I normally try to draw completely from my imagination, but I decided to pull the postcard after I'd started the sketch because every so often, it's good to base a drawing on real models, because you can see how the features can vary beyond your typical aesthetic. Interestingly enough, my original sketch wasn't that far off from the model's own profile, save for a few tweaks here and there for details and proportions.

I had completely intended to do this yesterday, but in the rush of things I was doing (plus the fact that I've been recuperating from feeling ill for various reasons), I completely forgot. So this is a make-up drawing. I kinda like it. Photoshop doesn't give me the same kind of control natural watercolors do, but I like the chunky effect.

No comments: