Sunday, June 17, 2007

Lifted


An image came to me while I was watching a music video at the gym. I seem to get those a lot at the gym. But seeing it in my mind and drawing it are always two different things - as soon as I put pen to paper (or pixel) the drawing evolves on its own. I may guide it towards the original vision, but every stroke is a reaction to the previous ones, and so the lines evolve as they need to. At some point or other I just decide I like where the lines are going and add more on instinct towards a satisfactory compromise between the idea and the technique.

Do any other illustrators feel this way about how their work gets created?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sometimes that happens to me but most of the time i try to "control" the drawing according to what i originally saw in my mind. Its not necessarily a good thing though... i'm learning to "not think" so much with some drawings. inspired by what you've been writing in your blog. i usually become instinctive when it comes to colors, but not so much with lines.

Anonymous said...

I don't do professional illustration, obviously, but I find that if I want to draw, like, Emma Frost it all just flows from the pencil. I think I know what you mean and I think it is what's so unique about all your art. It's very vivid and fluid, not a stocky, stuffy piece of art but just very ALIVE.

And I like it like that.

George G said...

Aww, thanks 'Fin!