Thursday, August 16, 2007

Flow

Last night I went to the Queer Man's workshop again, partially because I'd thought that the new model was promising (not so much) but also because my friend PJ was going to be there. It's always nice to have peers you can bounce ideas and energy off of. PJ is inspiring in the sense that his weapon of choice is watercolor, a former fave medium of mine that I've let languish in my recent trading of pixels for paint, and his enthusiasm for drawing and painting is infectious. I was just thinking the other night that I haven't done a happy dance after any particular piece of work in ages, when once upon a time, getting something right was cause for immediate and unbridled elation. Well, I didn't do any sort of dance last night, but I did get to get back into watercolors the way I used to when I did a lot of Antonio-esque fashion illustrations. In fact, last night was all about exploring without expectations. PJ lent me some old watercolor sheets which just brought the medium flowing back to me (if not as deftly as I remember, then at least a good reminder), and I alternated between them and brush-tip pens (ode to Yoco from the previous post). Can't say I loved the subject matter (I'm hesitant to post the overly raunchy poses here), and frankly, the costuming in the less overt poses did little to spur my interest (leopard print spandex. ugh. ). In any case, here's a quick, fashion-y sketch of the model. Yes, he's grabbing himself.
Not loving how simple the washes are. I have to go back to my old fashion sketches and see if this was the way I used to do them, and I'm just not liking my old style. Definitely don't like how blobby the chest hair turned out.

No comments: