Friday, August 31, 2007

Soft Pink

I spent so much time over the past couple of days designing a hard-edged boxing site that I wanted to do something unstructured and soft... and without having to think (design involves so much thinking). Thank goodness Rafe called after I had just started, so this sketch was pretty much an unconscious effort. It's loosely based on a model from an ad, and when I say loosely, I mean I didn't even bother maintaining anything more than cursory use of her likeness. I just used her for some shaping and some shadows. As I made departures from her look, I just went with them and kept adding on and adjusting to taste, so she's completely a made-up face now. A little lopsided, but nice and soft.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i think your blog is doing marvelous things on your drawing style! this is fresh and new. love it! by the way, did you get our newsletter? mailed it to you 2 weeks ago i think.

George G said...

Thanks Jo. It's amazing how much has changed just because I practice when I make myself draw every single day. Some days I just don't want to, but I still do, even if it's just...uh... a stupid boxing glove.

And no, I haven't received it yet. 2 weeks ago? Jeez! Should it take that long?I'll email you the day I get it.