Monday, October 29, 2007

Night Girl


There's a character from the Legion of Super-Heroes comic called Night Girl. Her power is that she's super-strong, but only at night or deep shadow... which is why she's not a full-time member and just in the 'Substitute Legion.' I swear, I'm not making this up!

So they're bringing back a lot of the old characters from when I was a kid, and she's apparently one of them. They're even using her costume from the late 50s/early 60s, albeit updated a bit... but in my mind, not enough. For one thing, she's got an owl emblem on her chest (ah, to symbolize the night, right? Even if she's from another planet). Anyhow, I thought I'd do my own take on an update. It's not exactly futuristic, but with the owl so close to her hooters (an inevitable joke) I decided to just merge the two and make it some Balenciaga sort of strapwork/bustier. And kinda goth with a modernized updo. Anyhow, I tried to keep as much of the original elements/design proportions as possible, yet re-imagining it a tad. This was a quick idea sketch I thought of tonight, and decided to do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love the owl cutout on her chest! she was one of my favorite characters because of her sexy outfit by mike grell. the one that plunges down to her navel. i wonder if he was inspired by a nightie... by the way, i had a vivid dream about you last night! i'll email it to you...

George G said...

Mike Grell was inspired by pasties. Every single one of his outfits for women was a variation on the same theme: black strips of cloth that were barely held together by anything!

Vivid dream? I hope I was dressed!

Unknown said...

DEFINITELY DRESSED! and horribly, i may add... check your email.