Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Laura Bennett

Friends of mine mentioned that they thought of me when the idea of Project Runway alum Laura Bennet doing an online comic strip was gelling, and I immediately had an idea how to do a caricature of her. The strip that eventually saw print was more fashion illustration than anything else (and nicely done, by another PR alum), but I would have tried to get Laura to...well, look like herself. She's got such strong features, I'm certain that if I drew her over time it would become easier and more spot-on. Here's an initial stab at her, possibly in a color she would never wear. Maybe I should have her and Christian Siriano do some sort of cross-season Battle of the Network Stars kinda thing....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert Best's style does suit the comic they ended up making (highlighting the fashions and all), but I love your highly expressive caricature. I would completely get behind Project Battle Runway.

George G said...

Don't get me wrong - I think Robert's style is great - it's so Mattel/Barbie! That said, I think he made Laura, who is a handsome woman, more into a Barbie-style illo. I like me a likeness.

Daxx said...

I did enjoy Robert's as well, and it does seem to fit the angle of the strip.

I agree with you though that I grew to love Laura for being herself. I really liked the way that you've captured that internal quality that makes her unique and not another "barbie" as others have noted. Yeah, the dress color is off, but who cares.

Anonymous said...

haha, yes, i saw this season! she probably has black undies under that pink dress. dont remember seeing her in any other color...

Unknown said...

Ha! You got my posture perfect. May I use this as my valentine?
Laura

George G said...

Laura, I'll be happy to send you the file signed, if you like!

Joanie said...

I love your interpretation of Laura because it captures her so completely. Well done!

Anonymous said...

I saw the valentine at Mood today, and then came home to find this! Ha!