Friday, April 11, 2008

Modelled

Sometimes to get past drawing blocks, I use other parts of my psyche to get me revved up. In the past I've used sexuality to inspire me. I can also use social regulation to get new work done. In that context, a muse can be the social reason I'll want to get a new piece finished, so I can show them and hopefully, impress them. I wasn't born with abilities that gain accolades with the immediacy that performing arts like dance or music do, but there's definitely something to be said for the ego wanting to be stroked. Even if it's as simple as someone saying they like their portrait. What part of that is just a plea for validation versus a sincere contribution to your ouevre is debatable. I think this might be the former.

3 comments:

tehkou said...

I don't know, Van Gogh painted tons of paintings just to impress a girl, didn't he? And most of the Renaissance masters just painted to endear themselves to their patron. In time, history forgets all the contemporary reasons why, and just cares about what's good art. And, this is good art.

George G said...

Thank you, tehkou. I sucked at Art History, so I forgot about van Gogh.

I guess I want to get back to the feelings I always had when I drew and painted constantly back before I had to work for a living, when I was so happy to create a piece of work I loved, that I could sit elated, all by my myself, contemplating what new artwork I could create next. But I'm happy enough to just be making new work, however finished or not it may be - for whatever reason.

Thanks for commenting - I hope you would feel free to do so again in the future.

tehkou said...

You're welcome. And I think I know how you feel. If nothing else, it can be kind of crushing if what you've drawn ends up not impressing the intended person.

I'll try to comment more; I still read regularly, but it's usually just "damn, that's nice" and then I have nothing more to say. I tend to forget how much even that can mean to someone.