Saturday, May 17, 2008

C'est La Vie

I was watching old, old 80s videos on YouTube, one of which was Robbie Nevil's C'est la Vie, a song I used to love. It struck me how there was a definite 80s boudoir look involving retro underwear as costumes, dark lips and slightly smoky eyes, plus curly hair... on models with really sharp bone structures. I should know - my drawings at a certain period in the 80s all followed this look. Ah, the good old days... I realize how old I've gotten.

This is a very rough sketch because I went on a yacht ride around Manhattan this evening... in rainy weather. I think the captain of the boat just didn't want the pre-booked ride to be cancelled because he supposedly said that the rain would clear by evening. Pfagh! Choppy seas and three hours of seasickness and throwing up reminded me that I should have chosen the better part of valor and declined my boss' gracious invite when I got dizzy within minutes of boarding the yacht, but I didn't want to be a spoilsport, so I tried to rise to the occasion. It's over 4 hours since we disembarked and I'm still nauseous.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey! i like this drawing and the colors too. which reminds me to tell you, theres a concert series here called 'THE LOST 80's' tour which features artists from the 80's. We saw When In Rome (the Promise), Real Life (Catch me I'm Falling) and Flock of Seagulls. It was kinda boring except for the few hit songs that they sang which was fun and nostalgic. Up next in a few months is General Public (Tenderness), Gene Loves Jezebel, and in August---Rick Astley!!! i wonder if he's now fat and old? haha!