Saturday, June 21, 2008

Question:

To the people who happen upon my blog, or have been following my daily posts and/or know me/my work, I wanted to ask: how does my digital work compare to my natural media work? I barely see any difference. And has my own pencil stroke/linework changed in 10 years?

I don't know if many of you can tell I'm working on Painter or Photoshop much of the time, but below is a pencil sketch I did 10 years ago for a poster I wanted to do, and there was much reworking and gnashing of teeth to get to the final layout (although the big girl in the background was a quick (and admittedly lopsided in the eyes) study, so don't count her. And forget the late 90s fashions too. Heh.

Here's a larger version for detail:

And if you look at The Wasp croquis below, that was done entirely in Painter. Although the poses are still very similar...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well it's kind of hard to tell from just the one pencil sketch provided, but I think your digital sketches tend to be just slightly softer and looser. The line work on the pencil sketch seems a little more hard edged and deliberate. More tight. I prefer the looseness and fluidity of your digital work.