Sunday, July 13, 2008

Gandy... And Done!

I think. Unless I revisit and tool with it again... which is quite possible.

edit: While I did this over 2 years ago, it's still one of my favorites. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I obviously didn't draw him from a photo of my own art direction and taking so I can't take credit for determining the pose, lighting or mood. I based it on a shot I found from a photo shoot by Mario Testino, which can be found here. The shot of David lifting up his sweater was the basis for this painting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! its amazing what a computer can do... i remember how hard it was in FA to paint in watercolor or oil and get the right blend...now the computer can do it so easily! syempre under the guidance of a great artist!

George G said...

Thanks, Jo. :))

But I know what you mean about working the medium - I sometimes wonder how I would fare if I did this in pastel, since a lot of the pain was in reworking the features when they didn't line up right... Lord knows, if this was real paint or pastel, I would have overworked the canvas na! I have no problem with how my digital color work goes - I think that's pretty much an instinctive thing with me now, since I'm so used to the medium. But copying a likeness from a photograph is always nerv-wracking. You can see how minute details changed over the course of the revisions I posted here.

But glad you like it. I sent it to the model to see what he thinks. I'm hoping he likes it.

oj hofer said...

fantastic! Galing Galing Galing :)