Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gandy, pt.3

Working from the magazine instead of the jpeg, I basically started retooling a lot of the previous work because so many details were lost from the original printed piece.

The creative process in my sketching (which I'm sure is probably similar for others, but I can only speak for myself) is that every line begets another line...or daub, or smudge. And if one is off, so are the others in relation to it. I guess it's very much a constant editing process, and the key in being an experienced illustrator is knowing which lines to commit to, and how your strokes affect that. Working digitally, I have fewer compunctions about putting down lines and changing them later... there's no paperthat willl get overworked, and less of a chance you'd have to start over from scratch. But I think the process has taught me how to commit to my linework and stick with it, which is why I often go to my drawing salon sessions armed with just papaer and a ballpoint pen. I don't know how my friend PJ does it, redoing the same scene over and over until he likes it. One pass is all I get before I lose interest in a piece, if what I started with doesn't work.

ANYhow, the David Gandy sketch continues... man, I love his profile... I never noticed it before, but my 'paintings' are reminding me more and more like Pater Sato's work, a Japanese artist whose work I used to idolize over a decade ago. Although after doing a quick search on him on the 'net, my stuff looks nothing like his work, yet I recognize bits and pieces of stylistic ticks of his I used to love. There's also a lot of Stephane Manel here too, I think...

No comments: