Friday, July 4, 2008

Hero

I met an artist online today, a Japanese man whose work has a line quality that's so different from mine, I find it irresistible. Like I mentioned two posts ago, I can't draw in away that almost seems naive, my work (at least to me) seems too studied and pre-determined.
Of course some of my sketchier entries here might have you disagreeing, but I suppose I'm just so aware of my linework it just looks too expected to me. Hiro's work has a quality similar to my idol, Stephane Manel, his faces and forms are so different, with a Japanese style that comes through yet still has its own stamp. He works a lot in the erotic field, and I love his collages. I often want to channel other people's style in my own work, to see how well I can ape the qualities I admire in theirs, and maybe find a way to incorporate such qualities (hopefully in my own way) into my own work. This is one such attempt. I hope Hiro doesn't mind.

No comments: