Monday, January 12, 2009

Drawn Out(side)

I ran into an illustrator I'm acquainted with on the street yesterday, and I finally took him up on his offer to join a group he participates in and do some life drawing. I've been wanting to revisit fashion illustration because I've lost some of the line I used to be so happy to have back in my days at F.I.T., but even more so right now, to get out and interact with other people. I've been oddly isolated lately, with a convergence of events leading to friends just being absent no matter how much I try to see or call them. So, despite feeling out of sorts, I nevertheless found myself back in the F.I.T. halls earlier tonight, to take the plunge. New year and all, right? I figured it was better than staring at my computer screen at home.

I didn't bring much in terms of materials, just what I could grab. In some ways, limiting my media choices makes me make more creative choices with my approach. I stayed only a scant hour, but it was enough to remind me how much I can do, as well as how much I can do better. They had two models simultaneously, a beautiful black female model who they draped in some odd clothing combinations, and a very alternative-looking, hairy white man who was conversely naked the whole time I was there.

2 comments:

oj hofer said...

i love these fashion illusstrations

George G said...

Thanks Oj. :)