Saturday, February 28, 2009

At Odds

I replaced the container that housed many of my larger drawings and paintings that I'd saved throughout my life, and in the process of transferring everything, I noticed how my work has evolved through the years. Part of me knows I've improved, but there was such an intensity, a visible need to draw in some of those pieces, an impetus I feel I somehow lack nowadays.

I'm trying to reconnect to my older styles and see if I've lost them, or have at least taken them to the next level, but without losing the parts I liked. Even the simplicity of my faces back then seemed much more pure than some of the work I do today, while the detail was evidence of my drive. Or did I just have so much more time back then?

This was an attempt to doodle like I used to, to create imagery rather than just live in the act of drawing. The odd eye color kind of illustrates the title of this post, but in truth was the result of a beautifully inspiring man I met online who has one blue and one brown eye.

1 comment:

Joanie said...

Now you're really going to make me get out my pencils, aren't you? I can't just claim my camera as my medium. You're totally going to make me work! I don't mind. I need to do this.

Thank you

P.S. Is it any coincidence that the word verification says "bratt"?