Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hunched, Re-posed


My hunched model wasn't looking right, so while drawing yesterday, I dropped her other arm and turned it into what I think my friend Peter refers to as the 'Broken Doll' pose. This sketch is all rough lines in search of final placement.

It's funny, but the process was never something I thought about, but in looking at this, I'm musing that the ability to draw (at least in me, although I assume it's similar for other people) is the same as my design skills, where I have an idea where things should go, and you place lines and arrange and rearrange them until they look right. But each and every line or element you put down affects everything else that follows, so you could be drawing all around it based on a line that you think is right, and it throws the whole thing off if it isn't. That's why people who can draw with an economy of line, with really decisive strokes, are so talented - they know what's right with one stroke. Sometimes I'm like that, but in instances like now where I have a specific mood in mind, there's a lot of reworking.

** and yes, she's too tall. Gotta fix that...

1 comment:

Joanie said...

I like her tall. Seems fitting for her.