Sunday, April 11, 2010

Goldschmied

I'm trying to loosen up, as well as draw more from life or pictures. I tore out an ad for the jeans line Adriano Goldshmied because I liked the easy stance of the female model in it. She looked long and lean, like a fashion illustration, and it was a simple thing to translate. I like that it has some subtleties, because it wasn't really an extreme pose and so the nuances were important. I didn't want to do a very close sketch, just wanted to capture the attitude and see what I ended up with. I didn't even try to keep it tight as I just wanted to see what my style would produce. It reminds me of my older fashion work (circa early 90s), but much looser with a bit more fluidity. Of course, since it's digital, perhaps it could be even more fluid if I used natural media, but I want to be able to loosen up my digital drawing while still finding some sort of polish even when it's more gestural. I wonder though if I cleaned it up if it would become stiffer looking? I might have to try it later.

The comic book style is still coming through though. That face looks like a comic book face.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVE it! Much looser, more playful with form, captures just a bit of motion.

Fludity & Females 2 had a bit of this, Smooth & Puffy even felt natural (rare for that kind of "modeled" headshot), and now this one feels very relaxed and flowing. Whatever you were struggling with, you seem to be beating it!