Monday, June 21, 2010

Brian, 2

I decided to use Brian's portrait as a guinea pig for finding the right brushes to do a pencil style sketch digitally. I think I'm getting there but this isn't 100% right yet - as you can see, there are a few too many brushes and it looks like I've mixed some inks in there as well. Maybe I might have to do this in natural media instead.... gasp!

I've never drawn Brian before, so it's not looking like the best likeness. Of course, drawing from a photo doesn't help, because I'll tend to try and make it resemble the photo as much as possible, as opposed to when I draw someone live and in 20 minutes, I can get a likeness because I'm not being as anal about the line relationships... but I do like the drawing quality. It reminds me of my older work back when I was in college... pencil with watercolor overlays.

1 comment:

Joanie said...

His eyes and lips are to die for!