Monday, October 18, 2010

Facial Reconstruction, Part 3

I succumbed. I realized I couldn't fake it an further and decided to look for a reference to get the right look I had in mind, but somehow couldn't draw. Hey, how am I gonna learn, right? I adjusted her nose, but more importantly, I changed her right cheek (on the viewers left) and revamped her lips entirely, as well as her chin. I thought the previous one looked too mannish, as my women often do, maybe because I've spent the last decade or so concentrating on drawing men and I keep giving my women the strong features that seemed right in the 80s but now seem too drag queeny. I think she looks much more contemporary now, features-wise, but the linework and coloring still could use a lot of repair. I'm finding more and more that the line in Painter just isn't giving me what I want anymore...

While I didn't copy a photo, I found similar poses where the women had their faces turned at a similar angle (except in the case of the one I used the most, facing right) and chose and altered features to suit my initial drawing. I pride myself on being able to draw without copying, but sometimes I just need to know when I'm not good enough and need help. Onward!

No comments: