Saturday, October 30, 2010

New Vintage

I've noticed that the younger fashion illustrators nowadays draw women's faces reminiscent of Milo Manara, Jason Brooks and other artists who, despite their various techniques, evoke the features of drawings I recall from the 60s and 70s. What's old is news again, and I'm noticing the squatter proportions, heart-shaped faces, small noses, fuller lips and wide set cat eyes. I came upon an illustrator's piece that was reposted on a tumblr page, and took note of how much fresher her work looks, despite looking vintage to me. So I decided to take her proportions (as well as those I recall of the aforementioned illustrators) and try my hand at it. I found myself trying to do my typical proportions and lines, but held back and channeled the style. I think this looks like the work of someone younger and more current than my typical work, and frankly, it was easy to interpret. I doubt I will adopt it, but it's fun to add to my arsenal should I be called upon to do fashion illustrations like someone else (which has been known to happen).

No comments: