Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This Year's Model

My free subscription to Japanese streetwear tome Men's Non-no ended sometime last year, so while I was in the East Village yesterday I stopped by JAS Mart to pick up the latest copy. It's a good issue in the sense that they had an editorial showing how this year's trends and silhouettes are different from last year. Specifically, how skinny jeans are being supplanted by the relaxed, tapered carrot-fit trousers I'd been collecting for the past three years, but also how 'jeggings' can now be used underneath shorts, a look I was wearing in Spring the other year which is now going full force. It's always fun to try different things, but as I passed by some glass windows and observed what I was wearing a few days ago, it struck me how normal I felt I looked in what is still something that most New Yorkers (let alone Americans) would even attempt, versus how conscious and strange I felt when I was the early adopter wearing it a year and a half ago. This sketch isn't me, just an outfit I devised based on the Non-no editorial. Naturally, I was all in black.

Of course, the next thing is to wear skirts again.

No comments: