Friday, January 21, 2011

Posed


I had to have an MRI earlier tonight because of an injured shoulder, so while listening to the drone of the Magnetic Resonance Imager (at least, that's what I think it means) I got lost in thinking about the techniques I've distilled for the Urban Bride illustration - i.e. taking what I would normally render in natural media brushes into Photoshop, with its harder lines and more solid colors. Because of the MRI I was missing the opening of a fashion illustration exhibit a few blocks away, so my mind was filled with illustration possibilities. It helped that going to the exhibit at the last minute I was still able to see all the work, which inspired me to do more of my own. So tonight I have two entries... the finished version of the piece I've been working on, and what hopefully will be a future polished and finished piece (as opposed to an abandoned sketch, of which I have many).

2 comments:

Gerald said...

Hi George. I like your sketch! Did you create this sketch directly in your Painter software? Or did you first sketch it on paper and then scan it? I'm still learning how to use my own digital tablet. I'm finding it's hard to use the tablet to create new sketches directly on the computer. For me, it's not as easy as sketching on paper. Thanks, Gerald

George G said...

Yeah, I generally sketch only on the computer now. It's a rarer occurrence for me to draw on natural media nowadays, although whenever I do so, I always wonder why I don't do so more often!

You just need to practice more with the tablet. I've been drawing on one for over 15 years, so it's second nature to me, but it's not necessarily better - the muscle memory of using natural media is still infinitely better. But for posting, it's easier for me to open up a new file and sketch digitally.