Monday, January 24, 2011

Zozo


I spent a lot of time shopping the Japanese Zozo sites this past Fall/Winter, and I saved one image to sketch someday. I thought it would be a pain to do, but sometimes, the best thing to do is just copy/sketch something without thinking, because, like yesterday's hair exercise, the instincts just kick in. I think it looks like the guy, but I didn't aim to make it so - I just have a thing for capturing likenesses. I was chatting earlier with a fellow artist about how I take issue with some fashion illustrators who do elaborate pencil sketches based on runway or magazine photos. When they just draw what someone else has styled and photographed, I don't feel like they add something new to it. To me, it's just , well, what would the word be? Rendering? Portraiture? Especially when it's hyper realistic. I suppose I'm much more old school that way, and love an expressive line, even when you're basing it on a model. One of my favorite fashion illustrators form the 80s, Pater Sato, had a way of rendering faces that was reminiscent of Richard Bernstein (of Interview magazine's original painted covers fame) even when they were doing portraits. There was always a skilled hand that showed through...

No comments: