Friday, March 11, 2011

Comics Pose


I totally forgot to do a drawing last night, but I suppose I can cut myself some slack since I did two drawings just the other day. Anyhow, this was something I was thinking about: a comic book I loved as a child, The Legion of Super Heroes, inspired me to draw. I had never seen illustrations as dynamic nor, to my barely 8 year old eyes, as realistic. It was after reading Superboy and The Legion of Super Heroes issue number 198 that I began my lifelong obsession with comics. There was one pose I remember well, from then-artist Dave Cockrum (who later went on to co-create a little known group of mutants known as the All-New, All-Different X-men) of the Emerald Empress. She wasn't zapping any rays from her hands or emanating any powers, just directing her magic Emerald Eye, but man, she was working the pose! It was burned in my mind so I made a quick sketch and abandoned it for later as I went about my day (which was pretty damn busy, I might add).

No comments: