Saturday, April 30, 2011

Girl With The Glaser Hairdo


Milton Glaser's famous Bob Dylan silhouette/poster was on my mind when this image popped into my head. Originally it was going to be a guy, but for some reason when I put pen to pixel tonight I decided on a woman. I revised her face a few times, as originally it was looking very Linda Evangelista in Bazaar, an image that is indelibly inked in the minds of many a gay boy who grew up in the 80s and 90s. So I softened up her features to make her more current and less perfect, and in my mind, her pose and expression now echo that of the Vermeer painting of the "Girl With A Pearl Earring." So many references, right? It's funny, the Glaser poster was itself the sum of two influences on Glaser: a Marcel Duchamp silhouette and islamic painting, as detailed in this excerpt online.

No comments: