Sunday, June 5, 2011

Solid Style


I found a link to the wonderful work of illustrator José Luis Agreda, and his simple and solid linework appealed to the part of me that has always liked the 50s/60s style illustration that has influenced my more finished cartoon work. I have always drawn Zenaida in a sketchy manner, after the work of Edward Sorel as well as a few Filipino cartoonists from (IIRC) the defunct "Ms." magazine. But this sketch uses the digital pastels, solid shapes and colored outlines (check my profile pic for this blog, as an example) I've been getting into in the past years, albeit not all in the same sketch. So I decided to copy his style outright and see how it adapted to my sketches. I think Zenaida looks gorgeous this way (which is probably why she's so coy)!

2 comments:

Joanie said...

Z is delightful no matter how you draw her! (I look at the one print I managed to escape with when I moved and she brings me great joy...and my former roommate loves his two prints still, too)

George G said...

Aww, thank you Joanie! I always think of you whenever I draw Zenaida, though. I'm glad you were able to keep one. I hope it's one that you particularly liked!

As for me, it's impossible not to have fun drawing her... she's so inherently happy!