Sunday, June 12, 2011

Watercolor Test 2

The current master of watercolors in fashion illustration these days is David Downton, just like it was Antonio Lopez back in the 80s. I remember copying Antonio's work to try and find out how he created his pieces, and constantly aping him led to me imbibing his style, which I later started to develop my own from. I figured it might behoove me to do the same with David Downton, since yesterday's piece was so disappointing. I drew a face without any references, then I looked online for Downton illustrations I could study, to see how he treated them. I actually like how this turned out a lot, although I can certainly see more development in my technique. But while I didn't copy any of his work, I did look at his pieces to get a sense of his shading, wet on wet technique (I tend to use a very dry brush, maybe a too-much-Photoshop effect) and color placement, then channeled it through my own technique (or lack thereof). I have a ways to go but I think this is a good start. I'm particularly happy with how I made the lips - they're not necessarily like Downton's own technique in color application, but my own interpretation. There may be hope for me in natural media yet!

1 comment:

Ayisha said...

Hey man, that's great work ,keep it up and get some more posted, it's down right inspirational