Monday, September 26, 2011

Ferré SS2012

The new team of Stefano Citron and Federico Piaggi for Gianfranco Ferré showed their first collection for the house of one of my favorite designers back in the 80s. I always liked Ferré's hard-edged glamour, perhaps because it had a very masculine quality to it while still being much more refined than the equally strong Montana and Mugler at the time. This new team captured a lot of the strong lines Ferré was fond of, while bringing the house into the twenteens (I just made that up).

Anyhow, I selected a look that I thought would be fun to draw. Unlike what seems to be the fad for fashion illustrators nowadays, I used the photo as a starting point and reference for the drawing, but don't necessarily just redraw the photo. I don't understand how it's considered illustrating if all you're doing is copying the shot some photographer took, as I question how much originality there is in merely capturing someone else's shot and art direction. This was my reference , and as you can see, the pose is the same, but the angle is completely different. This was fun to do. It came fairly easily, although I certainly wasn't trying to make it perfect - just do it quickly. I can certainly see elements that can be improved, but it came really naturally. Does this mean this is my real style?

No comments: