Sunday, May 27, 2012

Abba Dabba, Page 1

I was tooling around through old files and found this old nugget. Back in the late 90s, I worked again briefly for my old employer Muffin-Head Productions, and met a comic book artist who was working at Muffin-Head's new parent company. He asked me if I would take part in his Abba Dabba web series, which was something like an exquisite corpse serial comic book created by various artists who would write and draw parts of the story. You got the 2 - 4 pages done by a previous creator, then continued the story however way you wished. The set-up I received from the previous artist involved two secret agent types stealthily running thorough the hallways of an apartment building, stopping at a door and silently signaling to bust in on the count of 3, guns blazing. Well, I thought that it was all so trite as can be so I, clearly post-Buffy, thought I'd subvert the setup by having the woman inside the apartment open the door for them, much to their surprise.

The finishes are so different from how I would handle them now (heck, I imagine I draw much better than I did back then) but I do like the layout for the action. I was also rather timid with the way I colored it, 10 years ago. So I thought I'd try coloring it in. I did two pages, this was the first.

No comments: