Friday, August 9, 2013

Desperately Seeking Stavrinos

I found a brush that mimics George Stavrinos' crosshatch style, and now I'm experimenting with it to get as close as possible to his technique so I can dissect it and then hopefully remix it in my own way to get something that's not just copying his style but more originally mine.

The problem is one of scale - where do I stop zooming into something, stop resizing the scale of the crosshatches, to get it to look right? The gray parts on the leg on the left feel more right than the multiplied smaller strokes on the right. Plus the fluidity I wanted for the pants seems at odds with the Stavrinos architectural volumes. It doesn't help that I'm designing the folds of the pants on my own, and not copying  from a photograph. Of course, I could just not be talented enough to figure it out. I hate finding out my limits. :)

No comments: