Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Repositioning 3

I think one of the biggest things I got from going to the Stavrinos exhibit opening last Friday (George Stavrinos was one of my illustration idols in my youth - and still is) was not to be afraid to redraw. Stavrinos apparently made so many finished studies that in lesser hands (like mine!) would be considered finished work. But I'm unhappy with how my former portrait of Max works with the background one (the profile, which I'm quite pleased with) so I've spent most of today reworking Max's photos in Photoshop to get a position I like. Not only have I redone the body and hand positions (yesterday), now I'm redoing the face as well. It should be right.

Edit: I was going to post my updated facial position, but I retouched the old face a lot and am now uncertain about where to go: completely new, or rework the old one until it works? Ugh, choices.

No comments: