Wednesday, May 14, 2014

When It Flows

It seems to be an outdated notion, this stroke that flows smoothly in a fashion illustration. Today it's all about copying a photo, which seems a bit redundant to me. Even if I will copy a photo for some pieces (albeit one that I take myself),  more often I will use a photo as a reference for anatomy, or a feeling, not necessarily to copy as is. Tonight, at a loss for what to sketch, I blindly scrolled through my folder of reference photos and chose one at random to base a sketch on. I loved the pose of the model, just slightly askew, and he had a smile on his face. For me, it was about sketching the photo as if I were in front of the model live, and I'm happy that the contour lines look the way they do. Plus it took all over like 6 minutes. Here's the original of model Romulo Pires. I was more interested in his body than the clothing, in case it wasn't obvi.

No comments: